Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes... another great sweet potatoes recipe !
* 6 large sweet potatoes
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* salt to taste
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into slices.
2. Melt the butter or margarine in a heavy skillet and add thesliced sweet potatoes.
3. Mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cover the sweet potatoes with sugar mixture and stir. Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour or until potatoes are "candied". They should be tender but a little hard around the edges. Also the sauce will turn dark. You will need to stir occasionally during the cooking. Stir in the vanilla just before serving. Serve this great sweet potatoes recipe hot. Enjoy it with friends ! Nice one !